Don’t smoke in bed

Thirty years ago in Newry an elderly man became a fire victim in his own home.

South Armagh widower, 77 year-old Patrick Michael Stanley of Carrickbroad Road Forkhill was bed-ridden but prone to smoke his pipe when he was there alone. He had been warned by relatives of the danger of this practice. 


An inquest at Armagh on Friday found he had died from smoke inhalation. He was found in his smoke-filled bedroom and was dead on arrival at hospital. The remains of a badly-charred pipe were recovered from the bed. A verdict of accidental death was returned.


And an open verdict was returned on a nine-years-old itinerant boy who was killed when he lost control of his pedal-bike and collided with an articulated lorry on the main Belfast-Dublin Road. At the time of the fatality his family was encamped near Cloghogue. 


Newry’s premier pop band ‘Flash’ made a great impact in 1977 by being the first Northern Ireland group ever to win ‘New Faces’. The boys have been playing non-stop recently to record-breaking crowds throughout Ireland. 



Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.