Presbyterian Baptisms 1824 (1)

11 Jan COWDEN Margaret Anne, of James, North Street
14 Feb McALPINE James of Robert, Rovinshaw
19   GREER Mary of William, North Road
19   McCOLLUM Margaret Anne of Thomas, Cloughenramer
23   REID Eliza Anne of Isaac, Castle Street
26     THOMPSON Margaret of William, Church Street
5  Mar    McBLAIN Barbara of David, Ballybot
5    EDGAR John of Joseph, High Street
5           PHILLIPS William of John, Corpl 75th Regiment
7    BOYD Matthew of James, North Street
3   Apr KELLS Maryanne of William, Back of the Dam
3 RAINEY Eliza of Robert, Benagh
4 ROBINSON John of Robert, Cloughenramer
30 ROBINSON Mary Jane of Joseph, Cloughenramer
30 BOYD James Swanzy of John, Hill Street
30 GILLESPIE Isabella of Andrew, High Street
30 COWAN David of Abraham, Church Street
30 FLANIGAN Wm Livingston of John L, Wm Street
30 BROWN Samuel of Wm, High Street
30 SYMPSON Henry of Ebenezer, Boat Street
5  May RIGGS Elizabeth of William, Derrymore
5 MONAGHAN Jane of John, Sheeptown
6 McCOLLUM Margaret of Wm, Carnmeen
16 HENRY Eliza Anne of John, Dysery
16 HANNA John of Elexander, Dysert
26 FLANIGAN Maryanne of Robert, High Street
31 EDGAR Mary Jane of Samuel, Keoghill
4  June QUINN Margaret of John, North Street
10 McCARTER Arthur of Oliver, Mullaghglass
21 BEAUMONT John of Alexander, Chequer Hill
9  July HILL Robert of Walter, Canal Street
9 McALLISTER Maryanne of Charles, North Street
16 CARR William Thomas of Robert, High Street
16 HILL William of John, High Street
23 HENRY Aaron of George, Dysert
23 SCOTT Maryanne of George, Market Street
9  Aug McMINN Mary Jane of James, Dysart
13 POWER William John of Thomas, Water Street
27 LITTLE John of Robert, Altnaveigh
3  Sept TOWNLEY SAMUEL, Merchants Quay
5 McGRATH Frances of Richard, North Street
8 BROWN Richard of St John, Lisduff
12 HOWE Maria Glenny of William, Corry Place
26 MURDOCK Elizabeth of Henry, Canal Street
8  Oct RAINEY Annabella of William, Dysart
8 FLETCHER Eliza Jane of William [choir], High St
22 MILLAN Agnes of Sergt. Barrack
28 WALLACE Mary of Robert G, Grinan Lodge
15  Nov PARSONS Needham Thompson of Samuel, Kildare Place
24  Dec BAIRD John of William, Courtenay Hill
25 PORTER John of Joseph, Ballybot
27 GLENNY George of George, Millvale
31 HENDERSON William of James, Prospect Place

Originally posted 2004-04-24 00:00:00. Republished by Blog Post Promoter

Second Russell ‘Sister’

St Catherines Newry

The Russells of Dominic Street in the nineteenth century had a privileged childhood. Although well-off they were still unpampered and unspoilt. Of the five surviving children, all three girls became Sisters of Mercy one of the two boys became a Jesuit priest and the other, Charles a famous lawyer and eventually Lord Chief Justice of England. 

Read moreSecond Russell ‘Sister’

Originally posted 2005-10-04 09:18:16. Republished by Blog Post Promoter

Saint Moninna

Saint Moninna in Louth
It is often claimed that Saint Moninna was a sister of our patron saint Patrick. 
 
It is unlikely. Perhaps the confusion rises from the common given name Darerca, since Patrick is  also said to have had a sister of that name.
 
In his Confessio Patrick speaks of the number of converts made by him and his followers on their travels; he says  that he does not know the number who ‘are born of our kind and generation’ .

Saint Moninna in Louth

Read moreSaint Moninna

Originally posted 2004-12-22 00:00:00. Republished by Blog Post Promoter

Cistercians

souterrain.jpg

The Cistercian Order of monks was founded in Citeaux, France in 1098.  Religion was still the driving force of western civilization and this new order was dedicated to a return to the austerity that earlier had characterized the followers of St Benedict.  They had spread the gospel and the monastic influence – which some centuries earlier had permeated Europe out of Ireland – far and wide.  Rome saw the Cistercians as an important weapon against complacency and corruption in the monasteries. 

Christianity in Ireland had strayed somewhat from the discipline and influence of Rome.  St Malachy in Ireland was an important religious reformer.  On one occasion when he was summoned to Rome for guidance and instruction, he stopped off at Citeaux.  He was so impressed by the monks that he determined to invite them to set up some houses in Ireland.  In 1142 a number of Cistercian monks did exactly that at Mellifont.  Two years later a house was established in Newry.  By the end of the twelfth century they had 27 establishments the length and breadth of Ireland.

Most, including that at Newry lasted for four hundred years until the Tudor monarch Henry VIII coveted the lands, wealth and influence of the Church and decided upon the ‘dissolution of the monasteries’.

Originally posted 2004-03-30 00:00:00. Republished by Blog Post Promoter

Newry Journal