In its original form Newry Cathedral was significantly smaller than it is today. All the collected money and effort went into its outside construction so that the famous English novelist W M Thackeray, travelling through
‘.. it is quite unfinished and already so ruinous you would think that a kind of genius for dilapidation must have been exercised to bring it to its present state ..’
Just ten years after that Bishop Blake had the interior decorated – though little remains today of his early work. In 1862 Dominican Bishop Leahy succeeded and he purchased the present bell. That was not mounted fully until the present
That last was the date of which we spoke earlier  and it can be found embossed in granite towards the rear of the present structure. Extensive renovations were carried out under Bishop Leahy. The two Transepts were erected and within two years the
At the turn of the century joy-bells were installed in the tower.
……. More on Cathedral later ……