Jem Murphy, local historian, was one of the men responsible for the discovery of the O’Neill Vault. Jem was born in Carnally in 1916.
He acquired an unsurpassed knowledge of his local area and its history and contributed many articles to the Creggan Journal.
Throughout his life Jem strove to preserve local historical sites including Creggan Churchyard. He toiled laboriously and left behind a wonderful monument to our past.
Jem and his wife had three sons and three daughters, each of whom in their own way, carry on his tradition.
Jem died in 1995 and is buried in Creggan Churchyard next to his wife Annie – in the very place he spent so much time and effort in restoring.