John McCullagh November 5, 2007
BbotBr.jpg

Today’s Patrick/Dominic Streets and Francis Street were formerly known as Queen Street and King Street respectively. A great many families lived in this poor town {Ballybot} and the official lists of residents of 1917 disguises the fact that many more families than those named shared these homes. However here are the Reporter lists of Queen Street residents in the year of 1917.


1

William Kearney

2

James Cowan

3

John Murphy

4

George Cowan

5

Maria Anderson

6

John Scott

7

W J Harkness

8

Robert McGrath

9

Robert McCullough

10

Hugh Stairf

12

John Murray

13

Robert Marks

14

William Norris

15

Annie McMinn

16

William Hughes

17

Eliza McAlpine

19

William Dunn

20

Hamilton Millar

21

James Clarke

22

Eliza Kearns

23

Alexander Taylor

25

Bridget Haughey

26

Hanna Cowan

27

Peter Kelly

28

James Edwards

29

Henry Murphy

30

Edward Lowans

31

Eliza Caldwell

32

Sara Baird

33

William Buchanan

34

Jane Kinney

39

Hugh Clydesdale

40

William McKnight

41

Mary Eliza Boyd

50

Peter Loy

52

Francis Curran

54

Margaret Johnston

55

John McGrath

56

Laurence Kennedy

57

Terence Ruddy

62

Patrick Mallon

63

Patrick Ruddy

65

James McAlinden

70

Hugh Finnegan

The rear pedestrian access to our Cathedral was formerly named Downshire Court (today it serves as a parking space for residents of the flats above – and as rear goods access to the Corn Dolly on Hill Street). In 1917 there were four named key-holders – but as we saw in our last story [Rifleman Bernard McAlister] had other families co-habiting – a common practice up until a generation ago. The McAlisters stayed at number 5, the home of James Curran.

 

Downshire Court 1917

 

3

Margaret Gentry

5

James Curran

7

Thomas Campbell

9

James Magee

Leave a comment.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.