Aimless Facts.

Viewing 99 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

Aimless Facts; Down played in six all Ireland senior football finals, and won five.

Anonymous
      Inactive

as an aimless fact it is fairly provocative but I will not rise to the arrow shot across the county boundaries,
      Aimless fact, what County GAA Ground is only in its native county by 5%?
      This could be a spark to light the flame by tomorrow nite!

Anonymous
      Inactive

Does one assume one if referring to the ground of the team that beat Fermanagh on Sunday?

Anonymous
      Inactive

Aimless facts thrown about can be very harmful and cause all sorts pain, hurt and anger. Oh and the odd snigger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      Imagine if one had been thrown about tonight with the Olympic flame being carried through the town, oophs city. There I was waiting to see Willie boy and he has morphed into this young female who I had not a clue who she was!
      In the blink of two sodden eyes the whole shebang has passed and anti climax followed immediately, could only happen in Newry.
      Should have put this in the rant section but no-one is ranting. Aimless fact that one.
      Aimless fact, was in London, 1988 on that famous day (Sunday) when Ray Houghton put the ball in the english net and life was wonderful. The joke was on the other side.

Anonymous
      Inactive

AA. Could you please inform me what you are on about? I was with a few friends at about two of the clock today and if I had read your missive then I would have understood it. But now I am a little sober I have not got a baldie what you are on about. Come to think of it were you with us this afternoon?

Anonymous
      Inactive

Jasus!

Anonymous
      Inactive

For Santanta,
      for ye who drifts aimlessly around this world, U was playing around with aimless and facts.
      Fact, the olympic torch was in Newry on Tues and Weds.
      Tues, it is raining and not mizzling, in the local papers this last few weeks was that two locals, Willie McCracken and a young person Ryan Cinnamond had been chosen to carry the torch through the town,
      What I did not know was that the whole was tightly choreographed with those carrying the torch limited to the distance they would bear the light.
      So as I waited and in a blink of an eye a bus convoy arrives and that immediately curtailed the view, so I saw this young one who I had no idea who she was.
      Wet, disappointed and totally bemused by the snafu that happened at Abbey yard with the traffic, causing a snarl up and slight panic was the only memorable moment I got from the torch.
      I then went aimless to a fact about 1988 and myself and then I see your two replies with the last one of one word making me laugh out loud.
      So another aimless fact of mine, at the Special Olympics, Dublin 2003. Was I so lucky! I missed meeting that eejit Bono!
      Dublin, June 2003, it was more than special, it was everything what sport, friendship and fun is all about. So many great moments!

Anonymous
      Inactive

Another fact; A young lady won the only medal for Ireland in the 1948 Olympics. She won a bronze medal for…………. a painting of the Meath point-to-point meeting.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Aimless fact!
      My first pint of alcohol, cider. cost 30 pence. How ancient does that me now!

Aimless fact
      Never bunked off school! What did I miss>

Anonymous
      Inactive

To get away from that demon drink, this is a little known fact. Saint Catherines Dominican church in the republic of Ballybot was officially blessed and opened in 1875 by Archbishop Croke, after whom Croke Park is named.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Kevin Mussen captained Down to win the Sam Maguire Cup in 1960.

Anonymous
      Inactive

newry celtic won the league tonight well done

Anonymous
      Inactive

Latest.
      Newry Celtic win the league title.
      This is in a way aimless fact but not for those who have links direct or indirect to the team at Nan Rices and who play at Drumalane. I am one who had a direct link as my son played for them until he left for Australia one year ago.
      Well done

John McCullagh
      Keymaster

There is more sugar in a lemon than in an orange!

(I gotta know these things from now on!!!)

Anonymous
      Inactive

Yes John…very good… should the footballers at half time be told ‘now suck a lemon’?

Anonymous
      Inactive

Douglas Hyde was Irelands first president.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Down will contest the Ulster senior football championship final in Clones on next Sunday 22/7/2012.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Emily Davison, a suffragette, was badly injured on 4th June 1913 as she attempted to put a suffragette banner on the horse Anmer at the Epsom Derby. She died on the 8th June. The horse belonged to the King and was ridden by Herbet Jones. It is believed that the jockey never got over the incident and commited suicide on 17 July 1951

Anonymous
      Inactive

Gordan Richards the best jockey of his era, won his only Derby on Pinza in 1953.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Sadly Down lost to Donegal in the Ulster final on Sunday last.

Anonymous
      Inactive

I have a friend who drinks nothing but Harp. He drinks two half-pint bottles at a time. They cost £2.30 each which makes his drink £4.60. A pint of draught Harp costs £2.60 and a pint bottle of the same costs £3.20. He maintains the reason he drinks the half-pint bottles is because there is too much in the pints! Now that is one aimless fact!

Anonymous
      Inactive

walking around Hill street today and noticed lots of activity in Newry Market!
      Something was odd?
      A while later had to come through the market and there it was, The centre was curtained completely off. I was now really interested but there was no-one around that could help me solve the mystery until Malachy Curtis arrived,
      There is some film festival on and behind the enclosed curtain section was a film screen and chairs and tonight there was going to to be free showing of E.T.
      I thought what a wonderful idea and use of this space that over the years has seen the bustling market decline!
      Too often ideas like this are derided as a waste but I think this has huge potentail!
      Perhaps an aimless fact can be directed towards a worthwhile target

Anonymous
      Inactive

Newry once had three flourishing cinemas, The Frontier, The Imperial, and The Savoy

Anonymous
      Inactive

After a year of sheer struggle and huge doubt I am taking 8 people out to Belarus to our projects at Orphanage 5 Minsk and Kosava Adult disabled Institute,
      People believe it is just me that runs WEast Chernobly but in fact I was a small group of people that make this happen, things become possible.
      I leave next Tuesday and then face the task of driving home our loaned van on our departure on 18th sept.
      To all that helped, thanks!
      There were dark days and I nearly gave up, it is the power of others that made me stay. A huge aimless fact!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous
      Inactive

AA it is not a ‘huge aimless fact’, it is a fact and without people and your crew the world would be in a much worse state. Keep up the good work, we are all rooting for you. And remember when you get depressed ‘The darkest day, if you live till tomorrow, will have passed away.’

Anonymous
      Inactive

Go on AA, you can do it, good luck

Anonymous
      Inactive

Just to inform you, arrived home this morning early, Weds 19th Sept.

I was and still am beyond exhaustion, I am still reviewing and examining the trip to see if it the positive out does the negative.

This was a trip that saw us encounter the paper mountain of Belarussian authority on two occasions and one very fortunate escape from the police.

The van driver had failed to carry his passport, immigration form and two documents relating to the van. It was a traumatic act of carelessness.

It is good to be at home but I also have to deal with the death of a cousin who was one great friend, Miss Carol Fitzpatrick, I was unable to get home for her funeral. I now I will miss our evening of craic as I would talk about Belarus, a place she was in in 2009 and 2010 with me.

She was great craic and was one that convinced me to return. I will miss the cup of tae and the enthusiasism she had to overcome the problems about taking a group to Belarus.

Anonymous
      Inactive

I reckin ‘aimless’ facts..is knowing when enough is enough..give up lads!!!!!!!

Anonymous
      Inactive

AA,,life is such a biatch….You are so good doing the things you do..wish these countries would give you a little leway..As my mum would say..the world is couped!!

Anonymous
      Inactive

Anybody notice we seemed to have lost all, or most of, the old brigade since we have moved to this new site? We have even lost our ED! We have had nothing new on our home page in months, we ‘the few’ seem to be just keeping it going. At this rate it shall be gone in a few months. I think someone should get their finger out. Newry Journal is too good to be lost!

Anonymous
      Inactive

Dorrian Rose, where are you? I miss the football results!

Anonymous
      Inactive

Have to agree whole heartedly with The Watcher.

What is going on here with the site?

With the intrusion of emails that had nothing to do with Newry or ex newry ones in far off places and the disappearance of so many that made this site so enjoyable! What is going on>

Is the site being left to die slowly. Why no talk of an eejit gathering?

I do hold my head up but being an Armagh supporter has been horrific these last few years and I found the enhusiasism  eroded to such a low level.

What do we need to do?

Anonymous
      Inactive

We cannot allow the site to go under. I agree with A.A. and The Watcher.

Byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Anonymous
      Inactive

It appears there could have been water on Mars, who cares?

Anonymous
      Inactive

William Hill and the rest of the Bookies

Anonymous
      Inactive

with Newry city football club now gone, would this explain the absence of dorrian rose and what will happen to the ground itself?

McCoys bar in Kilmorey street burnt to the ground last night, wonder where the punters will go now! Will it be now loose its title of being a pub with a ghost or two!

Have a few days of worry ahead, our lorry will enter Belarussian territory this weds and I will have over 48hrs of worry until I see the text message, off loaded!

What would I give for a quiet life!

Anonymous
      Inactive

Well AA, you could always take over Newry City!

Anonymous
      Inactive

Sad to see the Town go out of buisness, they have been living a charmed life this last couple of years on the financial front, as a follower of all sports I would like to see them getting going again, hope springs eternal.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Antrim and Armagh ladies won all Ireland titles in Croke Park yesterday.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Newry has two streets named after Irish counties.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Noticed the big banner on Hill Street, welcoming all to the NEW Hlll Streer.

I needed a laugh………………..

Anonymous
      Inactive

tried a mirror?

Anonymous
      Inactive

‘ Oh Morgan for me, Oh Morgan for me,

If you’r no a Morgan you’r no use to me.

As I’m from Armagh and so is my Ma

The plucky wee Morgan is the pride of them ah.’

Well that is what Armagh Supporters sang until yesterday.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Armagh are on an environmental kick, no more oil fumes, or should that be funds.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Kilcoo are in the Ulster club final V Crossmaglen in Armagh Athletic Grounds, what odds Kilcoo.

the Watcher

Well Kilcoo won’t be cooing when X gets them.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Morgan Fuels are now powering the engines of Louth football.

the Watcher

Talking to a friend yesterday. Her car was broken down and still had to check on her dad who is not well. She has to get his groceries for him. She said to me, ” It’s a lot of running around when you are walking.”

Anonymous
      Inactive

Ruby Walsh, the jocky was injured at Newbury to-day.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Crossmaglen Rangers are Ulster club champions for three years in a row, some going.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Christmas day is on a Tuesday this year. Ho, Ho, Ho.

Anonymous
      Inactive

So I survived the end of the world on 12-12-12 while in Belarus, snow covered at day temps of minus 6 degrees. On this day I was in an asylum and enjoying a good red wine and some great food, less said about the cold at night in the old building.

So over the next few days the end is nigh as regards the nay sayers as regards the 21st, 23rd and 24th. Wonder how they feel on the 25th!

So I say, with the Christmas rush upon us and I am just home to rain and temps of 8 degrees compared to minus 12 this morning in Lithuanian, I am caught on the old fence, do I go and really celebrate with the end in  sight excluding 22nd Dec or do I hedge on any bets, I remember dec 1999 into 2000 when all was doom and the end in sight.

Do I stay aimless or aim to do something…………..

Anonymous
      Inactive

Eat drink and be merry for to-morrow ?

Anonymous
      Inactive

So we wait for the results of the 23rd and 24th but I believe some people may have mixed dates up. Rather than chancing anything, I will wait until Christmas day.

HAve the wine, pringles and chocolate in the house, just in case.

HAs the site been infected by right eejits going on about nutrtion etc or is it a sign of the end of the world,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Anonymous
      Inactive

It sure was a sign of the end for Aston Villa yesterday.

Anonymous
      Inactive

On January 1st, the Maiden City will become the city of culture, now theres a thought.

the Watcher

Myself and three old mates went down to Belfast yesterday to visit the Crumlin Road Jail. It was marvellous. Well worth going on a visit. Very interesting history. If anyone is thinking of going, just go into the city centre and get a 12B bus. It will leave you outside the gaol.As we didn’t know where we were going I asked the driver to let us know when we got there. When we arrived at our destination he shouted ” For all yous people who asked me your jail is the next stop.”

bigtam

surprised they let you out  is it jail or gaol?

the Watcher

They didn’t let us out…we escaped! Looking at the badge I bought there it is  Crumlin Gaol or as we old lags called it ‘The Crum’

Anonymous
      Inactive

A Newry man was the last person to be hanged in that terrible place.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Jessop’s  shop in the Buttercrane shoping centre closed on Saturday last.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Snow forecast for tomorrow.

Wonder will things ground to a complete halt and this after experiencing snow and minus temps for over 10 days in Belarus in December. Life went on as near normal and it was amazing how they dealt with snow and ice.

the stuff causes so many more problems here!

Wonder if the same solutions will be trundled out once again

Anonymous
      Inactive

I have three bags of coal, two bags of turf, and a bag of blocks, so I am not too worried what nature throws at us.

the Watcher

Too bad you have oil-fired central heating!!!!!

Anonymous
      Inactive

Have to say that the journey by trains to Coleraine was so enjoyable yesterday, Saturday..

Enterprise to Belfast, I knew what I was getting but the train from Central to Coleraine, brilliant. Warm and so comfortable! I remember the old carriages and the length of time it would take for this journey. The shock was the cost for me. £11 return. Brilliant!

I was expecting it to be so much more!

Big thank you to the staff at Newry railway station who made my 3 year old grand son’s day by their personal welcome to him!

Every few weeks now on Saturday. the grandson and I will have an away train day. Great few hours for him and me!

Anonymous
      Inactive

The train journeys from Newry to Warrenpoint must have been great fun,in what year did this train stop running.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Down lost to Tyrone in the national league in Newry tonight.

the Watcher

This was sent yesterday by our computer instructer. The only part I can understand is the Latin piece.
      Sorry for misleading you re sidebar.
      The primary sidebar shows in both content sidebar and sidebar content formats.
      The secondary sidebar only kicks in in sidebar,sidebar content and content sidebar,sidebar.

Mea culpa,mea culpa mea maxima culpa

Anonymous
      Inactive

I thought the message read sidecar, like the ones that used to be in Omeath.

the Watcher

Oak tree you know I think you are right. ‘Sidecar’ would make more sense.

Anonymous
      Inactive

The jarvies in Killarney they’er the boys who know their stuff.

Anonymous
      Inactive

If you get a chance, try to get to see Lislea’s drama group production of Neil Simon’s play. “Rumours”.

I have found it to be very funny.

It was performed tonight in front of an audience tonight and it was brilliant.

Anonymous
      Inactive

They sure know their drama in Lislea, great festival every year.

Anonymous
      Inactive

St Pauls school Bessbrook have reached the final of the McRory cup, which will be played on Monday 18th March in Armagh.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Was in Shercock, Co Cavan on Thurs with Lislea drama group who were buoyed by the victory at Lislea last Saturday night.

Shercock, definitely a sleepy Irish village but we were treated so well at their drama festival, brilliant.

Tomorrow morn early, off to somewhere in Wicklow but sure it is the craic of the whole adventure,  journey, off load set, set up, prepare for performance, performance, adjudication and then the striking of the set and loading the lorry, all right to relax as we are staying overnight.

I still laugh at things and lines in the show and that means it is good after three competitive and two other performances, bordering on sheer class at times, if you have not seen “Rumours”, get to it and sit back and enjoy the comedy and the sheer skill of the talented cast.

The craic has been mighty  so far and the hope is that it will continue so, even for the unseen ones who work away in the background.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Newry is well ahead, it already has a street named in honour of the new pope.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Lislea drama group have made it through to the all-ireland finals down in Co Cork later in april. It was a long night wait on Friday night but the results came through, so now we prepare for the trip. two shows on 12th and 13th april but would have notion that there my one added.

Armagh team staring relegation to div 3 in the face, some things never change so it goes down to the last match!

Anonymous
      Inactive

Wee James and Down, are heading for the same fate. but who knows maybe better days ahead.

Marisa

I’m not sure exactly why but this web site is loading incredibly
        slow for me. Is anyone else having this problem or is it a
        problem on my end? I’ll chefk back later and see if the problem
        still exists.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Silken Thomas, dramatic group from Kildare , were winners of the Newry drama festival.

Napoleon

I personally think about the reason you labeled this particular post, “Topic: Aimless Facts.

Newry Journal Page 2 | Newry Journal”. Regardless I loved the article!
      Thank you-Nikole

Jamel

Attractive element of content. I simply stumbled upon your weblog and in accession capital to say that I get in fact enjoyed account your bloog posts.
        Any way I’ll be subscribing in your feeds or
        even I achievement you access consistently fast.

Anonymous
      Inactive

so Armagh stay up in Division 2 and meet Down next year, as concerns the championship, unless there is a huge miracle, one game win then backdoor and eventual out early. i have not seen anything to alter my mind on this.

Heading to Clonakilty soon and twice over the week-end I come across the story of Mo-jo, the monkey and the yanks having to land close to Clonakilty in World War 2, Mo-jo is buried underneath the dance floor of one of the local Clonakilty  hotel. There is now a new sculpture of Mo-Jo that has just been unveiled. It is a brilliant feel good story and actually true

Jones sabo damit sie keine concern davor bekommt

I’m gonna watch out for brussels.

Jones sabo to they will fit in

Wonderful goods from you, man. I’ve understand your stuff previous to and you are just extremely wonderful.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Michael Collins and his friend Sam Maguire were born five mile outside of Clonakilty.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Cliftonville won the Irish league title on Sarurday last, their first title in fifteen years.

Fabian

If you want to increase your knowledge simoly keep visiting this web page
        and be updated with the latest information posted here.

Jones sabo a hair salon needs to ne a e-entrepreneur with re

I have read this post and if I could I desire to suggest you some interesting things or suggestions.

AlphaOne remembers Navratri Mahotsav by working that have Da

Thanks for helping out, great info .

Jones sabo i information

I like this post, enjoyed this one regards for posting .

Magaret

I was curious if you ever thought of changing the layout
        of your blog? Its very well written; I love what youve
        got to say. But maybe you could a little more in the way of content so people could
        connect with it better. Youve got ann awfuul lot
        of text forr only having 1 or 2 pictures. Maybe you could space it out better?

Anonymous
      Inactive

J.L.M. will perform in a concert in Newry this summer.

Jones sabo for the reason that it makes an impress

I had been wondering if your web hosting is OK? Not that I am complaining, but sluggish loading instances times will very frequently affect your placement in google and could damage your high quality score if advertising and marketing with Adwords.

Anonymous
      Inactive

The results came from the All-Ireland drama finals late this morning but the new is great.

Lislea were third overall and won the best set award. so a great season and much celebration last night.

the craic last week-end in Clonakilty was immense and i got my photo taken at the statue of To-jo the monkey in O Donavans Hotel/

Anonymous
      Inactive

Congratulations to all involved.  They sure give great value for money in Lislea festival every year.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Alex Ferguson is retiring as manager of Manchester United.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Wayne Rooney wants to leave Manchester United.

imperial

Thank you for the good writeup. It in fact was a amusement account it. Look advanced to far added agreeable from you! However, how could we communicate?

Anonymous
      Inactive

Tyrone lost to Donegal today, in the Ulster championship.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Down beat Derry in the Ulster championship today.

Anonymous
      Inactive

I used to love the banter on this site, it was unmissable, engaging, thoughtful, challenging and a lot more.

It is like watching something loved slowly, very slowly lose its magic and more importantly its spirit.
      I wonder has it had its time and even that is something I thought I would never write.
      The great nites craic with eejits in CWMC.

I use to regularly check in, now it is irregular and very disheartening to see the standstill.

To all that made it a joy, a huge thank you, it was great to engage with some great characters.
      Whenever it may cross my mind, i may check in again.
      a great pity,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Anonymous
      Inactive

Ah don’t leave. As Sir Harry Lauder put it, keep right on to the end of the road.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Where are all the Journalers?

Jermaine

Asking questions aree actually ppleasant thing if you arre not understanding sojething totally, however thiks article gives
      nice understanding even.

Viewing 99 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.