Events in Newry’s History

c505218304b50c59c3659f6dda43bae7-links-13–>c505218304b50c59c3659f6dda43bae7-links-12–>c505218304b50c59c3659f6dda43bae7-links-11–>c505218304b50c59c3659f6dda43bae7-links-10–>c505218304b50c59c3659f6dda43bae7-links-9–>c505218304b50c59c3659f6dda43bae7-links-8–>c505218304b50c59c3659f6dda43bae7-links-7–>c505218304b50c59c3659f6dda43bae7-links-6–>c505218304b50c59c3659f6dda43bae7-links-5–>c505218304b50c59c3659f6dda43bae7-links-4–>c505218304b50c59c3659f6dda43bae7-links-3–>c505218304b50c59c3659f6dda43bae7-links-2–>c505218304b50c59c3659f6dda43bae7-links-1–>c505218304b50c59c3659f6dda43bae7-links-0–>p class=”MsoNormal” style=”MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt”>SIGNIFICANT EVENTS IN HISTORY OF NEWRY

 

 

1819        St Mary’s Parish Church (COI) opened.

 

1823        Gas lighting comes to town:  to Ballybot in 1834.

 

1825        Foundation stone laid of Catholic cathedral.

 

1828        Cathedral opened.

 

In Parliament, Counsellor O’Hanlon’s son Hugh sponsored a bill for "the better lighting, watching, cleansing and   paving of the town of Newry" which became the model for all of Britain and Ireland.

 

1829        Newry Fever Hospital opened (sited where Intertrade is today, on

Kilmorey Street

)

 

Catholic Emancipation Act passed at Westminster

 

Control of Canal goes to Newry Navigation Company.

 

1830        Order of Poor Clares opens a convent in Newry.

 

1831        Patrick Jennings of Newry becomes P.M. of Victoria

 

1833        Cholera in Newry: 271 people affected; 127 die

                Charles Russell (Lord Killowen) born in

Dominic St

.

 

 

1835       Bank of Ireland, Trevor Hill was built.  Still worth seeing.

 

1838       Newry General Hospital on Rathfriland Hill opened.

 

               Daniel O’Connell visits Newry.

 

1841        Newry Workhouse opened.

 

1842        Celebrated novelist and traveller William Thackeray visited and praised Newry in print.

 

1843          Courthouse at Trevor Hill built.

 

1846           Old bridge at Ballybot (the bridge of Newry) replaced by granite structure.

 

1847           Poor Law duty (to make ratepayers responsible for local poor – i.e. Workhouse inmates) established.

 

1849           Newry-Warrenpoint railway opened.

 

1845-9        Great Famine decimated Ireland‘s population.  Workhouse full beyond capacity (1000).

                                          Great hunger, disease and loss of life throughout wider district and rest of Ireland. 

                                          Accelerated emigration from Newry and Warrenpoint ports.

 

 

1851         Christian Brothers came to Newry

 

1854         Towns Improvement (Ireland) Act in force

 

1855        Kerrs Mill / Sands’ Clanrye Mills erected

 

1865        Towns Improvement (Ireland) Act applied to Newry

 

                Newry-Greenore railway link opened

 

                Christian Brothers’ Carstands School opened

 

1870        Dominican Fathers come to Newry

 

1871       Newry Water Act for improvement of town’s supply

 

               Newry’s population reaches 14,158

 

1875        John Mitchel (and  John Martin)  dies.

 

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.