1552 Downpatrick plundered and destroyed by Con O’Neill
1552 Downpatrick re-visited by Con’s son Shane who went on to destroy its gates and ramparts
1578 St Patrick’s Church newry built by Bagenal whose family crest is incorporated in it. In the following century it was destroyed, then restored after the Glorious Revolution
1558-1603 Reign of
1585 The Queen granted Loughbrickland to Sir Marmaduke Whitchurch (opt. cit.) who built a castle there ‘where three roads meet’ ; also a Church; also a ‘Protestant’ town. The Castle was demolished by Cromwell to prevent rebels from holding it. Its ruins survived into the nineteenth century
1600 The list of distinguished families in
Bagenal; Sir Hugh Magennis; Sir Owen MacNeil; Con O’Neill; Iver Roe Magennis; Brian O’Neil; John Whyte of Dufferin; Savages; Fitzsimons; Dowdals; Macartans; Bensons; Russels; Jordans; Audleys; Mandevilles.
…….. penultimate Down dates ……..