Aimless Facts.

Home Forums Journal Discussions Aimless Facts.

This topic contains 109 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Jermaine 5 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 105 total)
  • Author

oak tree
    Participant

Douglas Hyde was Irelands first president.

oak tree
    Participant

Down will contest the Ulster senior football championship final in Clones on next Sunday 22/7/2012.

the watcher
    Participant

Emily Davison, a suffragette, was badly injured on 4th June 1913 as she attempted to put a suffragette banner on the horse Anmer at the Epsom Derby. She died on the 8th June. The horse belonged to the King and was ridden by Herbet Jones. It is believed that the jockey never got over the incident and commited suicide on 17 July 1951

oak tree
    Participant

Gordan Richards the best jockey of his era, won his only Derby on Pinza in 1953.

oak tree
    Participant

Sadly Down lost to Donegal in the Ulster final on Sunday last.

the watcher
    Participant

I have a friend who drinks nothing but Harp. He drinks two half-pint bottles at a time. They cost £2.30 each which makes his drink £4.60. A pint of draught Harp costs £2.60 and a pint bottle of the same costs £3.20. He maintains the reason he drinks the half-pint bottles is because there is too much in the pints! Now that is one aimless fact!

walking around Hill street today and noticed lots of activity in Newry Market!
    Something was odd?
    A while later had to come through the market and there it was, The centre was curtained completely off. I was now really interested but there was no-one around that could help me solve the mystery until Malachy Curtis arrived,
    There is some film festival on and behind the enclosed curtain section was a film screen and chairs and tonight there was going to to be free showing of E.T.
    I thought what a wonderful idea and use of this space that over the years has seen the bustling market decline!
    Too often ideas like this are derided as a waste but I think this has huge potentail!
    Perhaps an aimless fact can be directed towards a worthwhile target

oak tree
    Participant

Newry once had three flourishing cinemas, The Frontier, The Imperial, and The Savoy

After a year of sheer struggle and huge doubt I am taking 8 people out to Belarus to our projects at Orphanage 5 Minsk and Kosava Adult disabled Institute,
    People believe it is just me that runs WEast Chernobly but in fact I was a small group of people that make this happen, things become possible.
    I leave next Tuesday and then face the task of driving home our loaned van on our departure on 18th sept.
    To all that helped, thanks!
    There were dark days and I nearly gave up, it is the power of others that made me stay. A huge aimless fact!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the watcher
    Participant

AA it is not a ‘huge aimless fact’, it is a fact and without people and your crew the world would be in a much worse state. Keep up the good work, we are all rooting for you. And remember when you get depressed ‘The darkest day, if you live till tomorrow, will have passed away.’

Pictionary
    Participant

Go on AA, you can do it, good luck

Just to inform you, arrived home this morning early, Weds 19th Sept.

I was and still am beyond exhaustion, I am still reviewing and examining the trip to see if it the positive out does the negative.

This was a trip that saw us encounter the paper mountain of Belarussian authority on two occasions and one very fortunate escape from the police.

The van driver had failed to carry his passport, immigration form and two documents relating to the van. It was a traumatic act of carelessness.

It is good to be at home but I also have to deal with the death of a cousin who was one great friend, Miss Carol Fitzpatrick, I was unable to get home for her funeral. I now I will miss our evening of craic as I would talk about Belarus, a place she was in in 2009 and 2010 with me.

She was great craic and was one that convinced me to return. I will miss the cup of tae and the enthusiasism she had to overcome the problems about taking a group to Belarus.

E.G.
    Participant

I reckin ‘aimless’ facts..is knowing when enough is enough..give up lads!!!!!!!

E.G.
    Participant

AA,,life is such a biatch….You are so good doing the things you do..wish these countries would give you a little leway..As my mum would say..the world is couped!!

the watcher
    Participant

Anybody notice we seemed to have lost all, or most of, the old brigade since we have moved to this new site? We have even lost our ED! We have had nothing new on our home page in months, we ‘the few’ seem to be just keeping it going. At this rate it shall be gone in a few months. I think someone should get their finger out. Newry Journal is too good to be lost!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 105 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.