Brother Mallon of the Abbey Monastery community, who taught for much of his career in St Mary’s Secondary School on the Falls Road in Belfast, is a Newry man through and through and is back living in Newry in his retirement. These are his notes on Old Newry ….
Most of old Newry was located on the lower slopes of that granite ridge which stretches from Windsor Hill (a modern name, after the English Royal house) to Courtenay Hill – and especially on the southern half of that hillside.
The 1760 map of Newry indicated
In the eighteenth century Newry had the first summit-level canal of all these islands. This means that the water-level was fed from a summit lake near Acton, Poyntzpass to maintain the water level in the canal for barges and boats to pass through. It was finished in 1742 with the intention of bringing coal from the newly-mined seams in Tyrone to the capital in
This was the dawn of its heyday and among the many well-known personalities to visit Newry were the writer and preacher Jonathan Swift, the Methodist founder John Wesley, the great composer George Frederick Handel and the nineteenth century novelist Thackeray. Also in the nineteenth and into the twentieth centuries we had prominent political figures such as Parnell, De Valera and Jim Larkin as regular visitors here – the last named having local grandparents.
… Royal Coachbuilders of Newry …